Friday, September 23, 2011

Public Interaction

 Yesterday was our errand day. A day that is set aside every week to, well, run errands, go grocery shopping, and anything else that either needs to be done or just wants to be done. Since 3 out of 6 children have the chicken pox I decided to take our middle son with me. I thought it would be great to get to spend some one on one time with him!
  We had a breakfast date at McDonalds. Despite the nasty weather, I was surprised at how many people where there between the ages of 50 and 70+. There were also younger people, most of which were either talking on their phones, bluetooths, or texting. It just struck me how much technology  has evolved since I was a teenager. The different ways in which we can communicate with people all across the world is just amazing! Then something else caught my attention...with all of these devices we are using to communicate with we are neglecting the most important ones....verbal and physical communication with those that are right there around us. Yes, they may be strangers...but eye contact, a nice smile and a cheerful hello can change  some one's day for the better! You never know what someone else is going through! Being quite shy, myself, it hasn't always been easy to practice this! And when I have 6 children with me while I'm shopping or taking care of business I sometimes to forget to think of others in this way.
 A kind smile, a nod, or even just trying to stop and chat can have an impact on someone. I can think of times in my life when I was struggling with something..and even just to have a smile on my face was hard to do..but then some one went out of their way to say hi or pay some form of compliment and it lifted my spirits and helped me realize that what I was dealing with or going through was just a portion of my life and would eventually pass.
  While my son and I were eating an older woman had been watching us and began to comment on Levi's gentleman-like behavior. She bemoaned the fact that children and teenagers are so different than what they used to be in years gone by. My response; that allot of it had to do with their upbringing and parents. And it just made me think that we do not live and die to ourselves. It is very normal for people to stop and talk to me when I have 4 or more of our children with me...but never when I just have one or two. It made me realize that we all touch someone, some how and in some way.
  For the rest of the day I made it a point to smile at everyone and try to engage someone else in conversation. You know what I found out?! That it did me good! My heart felt full and some how happier. Even though I did not know these people by interacting with them it made a difference in my day! Though cold, cloudy, dark and rainy outside it felt like the sun was shining and the birds were singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment