Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Love Story part 1

I am a romantic.... I really enjoy asking couples how they met. Personally, I think that my love story is rather special.
 My parents were not Christians when they met and married. Thankfully the Lord saved my Mom when I was 2. My parents divorced when I was in the 4th grade. I can remember that day like it happened yesterday. When I was at the wonderful age of 13 my Mom married what I thought was a knight in shining armour! My step-dad and I didn't quite see eye to eye at the beginning but he won my heart and has been my daddy ever since.
  Ever since I was a little girl I remember always dreaming of getting married and having children...being a wife and mother were something that seemed like the greatest thing on earth to be.
  I don't want to get too personal but you need to know a little bit of our family's background. My mom was a second generation divorcee....most of the men and women in our family were sexually active by their early to late teens. Due to what happened to my mother's marriage she stressed SO often to do things God's way. Save yourself for marriage, make sure you marry a Christian...and she would always quote a verse from the Bible about the 'bed being undefiled'.
 I dated quite a bit through Junior High and High School. As you can imagine I received alot of pressure to give myself away. In High School, only 16, I got pretty serious with someone...he was 18. My mother was not crazy about it but my 'Daddy' (aka step father) said that it was all a part of growing up. He set some pretty high standards that he even got ribbed about from some of his closest frineds at church. Things didn't work out but through all the circumstances God used it to open my eyes and heart.
 Once it got around school that I was saving myself for my husband I didn't get asked out on too many dates. Which wasn't so bad...but I spent alot of 'lonely' nights at home. On one of these said lonely nights I was siting in our dining room after everyone had gone to bed. With the house quiet and just pondering some things a family member, younger than I, had been involved in my heart was heavy. I guess you could say that God opened my eyes that night to a pattern in our family. I would call it a family curse. There were not too many girls(or guys) that had graduated from high school still a virgin. God brought me to a crossroads that night. I only had one more year of high school left....I could be the first one in three generations of great-aunts, aunts and uncles, first and second cousins to graduate a virgin!
  But this wasn't good enough for me!! I wasn't going to go through all the 'hassle' and not get anything in return! Before I knew the verse in the Bible that tells us we can 'come boldly before the throne of grace', I did. And VERY bold I felt....which is very out of character for me! That night I told God that I would keep myself pure and in return I wanted to marry a man that had done the same!!! When sharing this with my best friend at the time, she had no problem letting me know that I was unrealistic to expect such a thing in our day and time! But I did not let that deter me! I knew what God wanted me to do and I knew what I wanted in return!!!!!
  To be cont........

No comments:

Post a Comment