Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Love Story part 3

I find it fascinatng how God moves and works. My brother that is closest to me in age and myself are quite shy. We are very routine oriented. We do not like change. So moving to North Carolina wasn't the easiest for us, especially when it came to looking for a new church. My parents found one in Morehead City and we visited. Like I said, it was much smaller than the one we had been attending...and there were not many people my age. The next service our parents were discussing visiting another one...and for some 'weird' reason the both of us convinced them to go back to Grace Baptist. I suppose maybe our parents felt sorry for us, or something... I believe it is the 'something' or should I say Someone that was leading my parents and our family to this church!
  My Dad was still in Washington DC finishing up the last few months of his service. It was summertime and there wasn't alot to do. My brother and I would take bike rides through the tobacco field at the end of our housing development. In the back of my mind was the nagging thought that I was going to grow old and live with my parents for the rest of my life...ugh!!!
  Then one afternoon God brought a little saying to mind that one of my teachers at CEF (Child Evangelism Fellowship) camp had mentioned in a class...'When in a fix, read Phillipians 4:6'. So I got out my Bible and looked up that verse, and  verse 7  and they changed everything for me! The Bible says 'Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.' I had been very full of care! I had always wanted to get married at the age of 18 like my Mom. It was time for me to let go of what I wanted and just rest and wait on God!!
  So I decided that everytime I would worry or even think of marrying I would quote these 2 verses and leave it in God's hands! I also started praying for my future mate and that God would prepare us both for our life together. Meanwhile, I became involved in the radio ministry at our church (FBN). I took the next days broadcasts and recorded them into the system...It was a great time of spriritual growth! I also worked on a bus route and helped one of my friends in her Sunday School class.
  Then one Sunday evening several people joined the church. They were standing in front and giving their testimonies. When a certain young man gave his, the Holy Spirit told me that he was 'The One'....like Sarah, Abraham's wife, I laughed and thought 'Ya, right!!!'  And God proved He knew best!!!!
  When I was praying for my husband I had someone pictured like my Dad, 6 ft!!! I wrestled with this! He didn't look like my Dad at all!!!!
  I had been corresponding with a friend from school who was also praying for a godly mate. A few days after this 'revelation' I recieved a letter from her. She told me she had met someone and went on to describe his character and how he loved the Lord and was involved in his church. Then she said something that just astounded me...she said she couldn't get passed his looks! I couldn't believe what I had just read!! He sounded wonderful!! Then the Lord smote my heart and said I was being the same way! I was telling God no because Barry didn't look just like my Dad. I repented and told God...'Alright...if he is the one, then You orchestrate it all! I'm not having anything to do with this...It's ALL You, Lord!'

   to be continued....

1 comment:

  1. That's really pretty cool!! I thought that was only my story. I had a list as well. I knew I was going to marry my Doug 4 months before I knew I loved him. There I was at the altar trying to talk God out of it, and he said "just love him." Ten years later, I'm glad He won!!!

    ReplyDelete