Monday, July 25, 2011

What Is Your Bible?

My Bible is always on my nightstand. It is there every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to sleep. I like it within reach so that if I have a sleepless night I can turn my lamp on and grab it and find comfort from it.
  This morning when I was making my bed I noticed there were 2 books on top of my Bible. Oh, no!!! Beause I NEVER set anything on top of my Bible, God's Holy Word. The 2 offending books were a recently bought cookbook and a tea party book. I have been 'devouring' the cookbook since I bought it over a month ago! I have been telling all my friends and aquaintences about it. It is just awesome!!! The tea party book I just received in the mail a few days ago. The girls have been begging me to have a tea party with them for years. So I looked around on Amazon and bought 2 books to give us some ideas. The illistrations look like they are right out of a little girl's dreams...English gardens, wicker furniture, china, small furry kittens, etc. The information is great and lends itself to be slightly on the sentimental side...right up my alley :) The recipes look so dainty and delightful...perfect for little girls..and big ones.
  Then I realized that they have taken the place of my Bible-they're right there- within reach-and I have been so excited as I look through them and plan exciting meals and fun times for our family.
  Wow!! I should be this excited about my Bible! When did these take the place of the most precious book in the world?!?
  I love cookbooks! I love cooking and baking, especially for my family...it is relaxing, comforting and can be healing. But just as food is important to the health and happiness of my family-so my Bible is to me...it is sustenance for the soul, for my spiritual health and happiness!
  And the tea party book!! I have found a new passion :) It shows how you can set a fine table for friends and family-sharing special time and conversation-bonding with my daughters. Isn't that what God wants with each and every one of us? A special place to meet with us and bond. He wants a close relationship with his children. If only we...if only I could share with others the special things that Christ has shown me through His Word  like I do when I come across a great recipe!!!

(this was taken from one of my journal entries ; written in January of 2011)

1 comment:

  1. So true, Angela. You know what I've come out of after 13 years of endurance, and I must say, it has changed my perspective on what it means to be a Christian. I see hypocrisy so easily now. It burdens me, especially because I see it in my own life. Things were so easy before the abuse. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever fully recover. Truly, what I need is to get back into the Book wholeheartedly. Thank you for your post. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete